The euthanasia clinic received a donation today, so it is currently at $745, only $130 left to go! The clinic starts tomorrow, please donate what you can to fill up the thermometer. Every dollar really helps at this point! Click here to watch the thermometer rise.

This morning was a really beautiful morning. The sun was shining and two little mini’s were wide eyed, anxiously waiting to see what today’s events would bring.

Parcy made it through his first night at the rescue just fine. He kept getting disturbed by Tawnee checking on him throughout the night. Parcy would like to thank those that have sent donations on his behalf and for the outpouring of emotional support.

Once all the morning chores were done, the rescue rig was on the road again. Today assignment was picking up a blind mare for the euthanasia clinic. She has been blind for over a year. She keeps injuring herself, and with her advanced age, her owner felt that humane euthanasia was the best solution for her.

Jason and Tawnee arrived to find the mare and a 5 year old stallion (the blind mares baby who was her guide horse) in a pasture.

It’s always hard working with blind horses, especially those who are in constant fear.

She utterly refused to leave her pasture. The unknown was just too scary for her.

We haltered her son and led him over to her, it calmed her down to know her son was by her side.

Together mother and son walked out of their pen and headed to the waiting trailer. It was easy to tell she was still scared, but she was comforted to know her son was there.

Loading blind horses into trailers can be extremely difficult. The fear of the unknown can be extremely challenging for them. Convincing them to step up into an unknown situation is often too much to ask of them. Jason backed the trailer up to the bank so she could walk down into the trailer and she wouldn’t have to step up. It was nice that the new trailer is 7′ tall in the inside. It gives horses more room so their ears don’t touch the ceiling.

She realized there was something strange in front of her and she began to worry and get scared. Her idea of getting to safety is backing up as fast as she could, often banging into things. With her son there, she was soon calm as her son was not afraid.

Finally she was coaxed up to the trailer and she began eating feed inside. It made her realize that nothing bad was happening.

Finally the first step into the trailer. She quickly stepped back out, but it was progress!

She went in and out a few times until she felt calm and then gently walked all the way in with her son beside her. He assured her that everything was OK.

Inside the trailer the mare sniffed towards her son as if to say “Are you here? Are we ok? Is everything ok?” The owner was planning on keeping the stallion, but decided to surrender him so he can be gelded and hopefully find a forever home. But most of all, to keep his mother company so she won’t be afraid.

On the way to pick up the blind mare, Jason and Tawnee couldn’t help but notice all the graffiti on the road. It was quite a sight and went on for miles. On the way back Tawnee just had to take a picture of it. It went on and on and on…

Back at the rescue there was a hungry little Parcy waiting for his food.

After a good meal, it was time for him to see the vet and for the blind mare and her son to be taken to the vet as well. We did not want to have to put her through the stress of another loading experience. Parcy was ready to go and quickly found his blankey.

When Tawnee arrived at the vet Parcy was curled up on his blankey, wondering what this adventure would hold. He sure is a cute little guy!

Parcy was carried into the vet office where Dr Weaver could evaluate him.

Then the horses were safely unloaded. The blind mare was a little concerned about getting out, but she was a brave girl and did very well.

Dr Weaver examined Parcy and made up a feeding schedule for him. She also figured out what medications he needs to give him a boost in life. Day old calves that are pulled from their mothers rarely get to drink their mother’s milk so they don’t get the extremely important colostrum. This makes it very hard for them to survive. We are told his hind legs should be fine as he gains strength. Dr Weaver gave him a couple shots, which he wasn’t too keen on, but no one ever said you have to love your doctor.

It was decided the little guy will spend a few days at the vet office so Tawnee can feed him. Yes, Tawnee will be spending the next couple days at the vet as the euthanasia clinic is tomorrow. Parcy is all snuggled in with his security blanket.

On the way back to the rescue Tawnee stopped at Home Depot to pick up needed supplies for the shelters.

It was cold and starting to rain. Tawnee was really thankful when one of the workers offered to load the supplies into the trailer.

From there it was to the Post Office. As you can tell, it really started raining. Thank you so much to everyone’s support. We would like to thank those that use their SHARES card. In the mailbox was a check for over $250, there just because people swipe their cards when buying food. It all really adds up!

Many thanks to Gail G., Judith B., Donna A., and the anonymous donor! Your support is greatly appreciated!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.