We would like to extend a warm invitation to you to visit us at the Horse Expo, June 11-13 in Sacramento. The annual Western States Horse Expo is always an exciting event with far too much to see and do!

We would also like to invite you to spend a night, 2 or 3 at the lovely Red Lion Hotel at 1401 Arden Way, Sacramento. It is walking distance (by Jason and Tawnee’s standards) to the expo. For a discounted rate of $89 a night you can have a a great nights rest AND a great breakfast. Just tell them that you are visiting the horse expo when you make your reservation or check in. The Red Lion loves animals, this is the 2nd year in a row that they have donated rooms for our staff to stay at during the expo. Please give them a call at: 916-922-8041.

You may have noticed that we did not send a blog out Sunday evening. That is all Tawnee’s fault.
Sunday morning was bright and beautiful. Raja had some potential adopters looking at her when her ears went up: she heard a new sound.
The very first Harley’s to ever visit the rescue pulled in. They had told Larry that if it was a beautiful day they were going to be cruising on the way down, and sure enough.
They had recently lost one of their horses from medical complications, and their remaining horse was in desperate need of a companion. They really liked gaited horses and were really interested in Frankie.
But Copper Hopper had other ideas. He saw his opportunity to get a home. He really knows how to wiggle his way into hearts, and knows the routine as this is his 2nd adoption. He walked over and started whispering in what he wanted to be his new mommy’s ear. It worked, they put both him and his buddy Frankie in adoption pending. Way to go Copper Hopper, you really worked your magic.
Raja was still being visited by her potential adopters. Soon she was all tacked up and ready for a ride.
They truly fell in love with her and now Raja is in adoption pending too! Three horses lined up for their new homes in one Sunday.
Alex and April were busy working on pens, keeping the horses in where they are supposed to be and out of where they are not supposed to be.
It was Cupid’s big day to head to his new loving home. One of our previous adopters opened her heart and home to this special senior guy.
He looked into the trailer with anticipation, you could see the excitement in his eyes.
He was a very good boy and got right into the trailer. He is ready to start his new adventure, that’s for sure! He will enjoy spending his days with two other of our rescued horses, and will no doubt have many stories to share with them. We really appreciate our previous adopters opening their homes to horses that desperately need a chance at happiness.
Tawnee and April were grooming horses off and on throughout the day. There are two horses at the rescue right now that have shown particularly aggressive behavior. Tawnee was grooming one of them, and in the blink of an eye, it had kicked her right in the knee. She hopped backwards in pain, flopped down in the ground, and thought “This doesn’t hurt quite as bad as being pepper sprayed right in the face, I will live.” This picture was taken right after it happened and it already had some coloration. Due to Tawnee’s injury she was unable to get the blog out last night.
This morning Jason had a business meeting in town and then he headed out to paint the office trailer. We had someone loan us their airless painter so we could it painted faster.
The painting started, and soon Jason noticed smoke pouring out of the machine. Then it died. We are trying to contact the owner so we can figure out how to proceed. It is always terrible when you borrow something and it blows up.
So Jason headed off to another pressing matter. The fencing!
Post after post had to go into the ground.
Each post leveled in 3 directions to make it look as nice as possible.
Shovel after shovel full of dirt went down the holes. Jason says he is about half down with the first run. That’s over 54 posts that have been set and buried!
Tawnee has been hobbling around on crutches all day and can put some weight on her leg, so she has decided she will be just fine after 3 or 4 months off of work, or maybe we can lessen that to 3 or 4 days. She’s just afraid she will get stuck working the booth at the expo instead of walking around with Macho Man enjoying the sights.
We would like to thank each and e
very one that has donated over the past few weeks. We are going to start thanking you on a personal level tomorrow. Jason and Tawnee were unable to send the Thank-You cards out at the end of April due to the training, so April and May’s will be combined.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.