Monday found the crew hard at work on the Feather Pen.  We had some problems going on with the gate situation, it just wouldn’t be tight enough to keep baby chickens in.  It was decided to remove the gate and put in a door instead.  That will keep all the little fowl in and all the little predators out.

Sir Peanut remembers that on Facebook there were just a ton of people saying how cute he was, how they just loved him, and he thinks he remembers some people saying they wanted to give him a home.  He is wondering why he is still at the shelter?  He is such a cute little guy and is ready to go to his forever home, he’s just waiting.  Goat adoption fees are only $75, below fair market value but you have to love them alive and for who they are, not for their meat on your plate.

Tawnee and one of the volunteers decided that the goats needed more exciting stuff in their pen, something they could play on.  So, one of the picnic tables (the oldest one that is falling apart) was moved into the goat pen.

At first the goats didn’t know what it was for and looked a little bewildered.  Where people going to have picnics in their pen?

Soon Sir Peanut realized that he could be king of the picnic table.  It was so cute watching them play king of the mountain on the picnic table.

It must have been casual day, no one was wearing their uniform.  But the work was certainly getting done.  There was a dutch door in the office trailer that needed to be replaced by a normal door for security reasons, but the dutch door would work great for the Feather Pen.  Jason was busy hanging the door frame in this picture.

Tawnee was happy the round pen was finally dry enough to work horses in once again.  It had a lot of lingering moisture that could make it dangerous for horse and human.  It was time to harrow it to fluff up the sand.

Round and round she went until it was all nice and smooth.

The rescue retired an old friend, the bridle that has been used for so many years in evaluating horses and for potential adopters to test ride the horses was just getting too old and frayed.  Tawnee picked out one of the donated bridles as the new bridle that will be used in evaluating horses.

Then it was time to get on a horse.  Dino was a good boy being bridled and saddled.  He was a little nervous being mounted and unmounted, but then was fine.

He would probably do best in a family where two people would trail ride so he could go along with another horse.  He does like to be with the other horses but didn’t seem to mind leaving them too much.  He needs someone to adopt him and start working with him on a regular basis.

It turns out he is absolutely terrorized at the site of a wormer.  His eyes bulge, he begins shaking and then starts sweating profusely.  Just by seeing a wormer coming his way.  After working with him for a few hours he finally realized that the wormer was not going to kill him and it would be ok if the wormer gently stroked his face.

Tawnee had never seen a horse this terrorized from the sight of a wormer.  We are confident that with enough time, maybe some wormer tubes filled with molasses and other treats, he will come around just fine.

Next was Cinnamon.  She is about 7 years old and is the last horse that came from the KB.  She took the bit and saddled up fine and knew how to lunge.

It turns out that is where her training ended.  Tawnee put some weight in the stirrup and could immediately tell that Cinnamon had never had that happen before.  With time and more training she should be a great riding horse.

She has a really cute face and would love to find her way to a great barn, maybe yours?

Fruitloop was getting some adoption photos taken.  She pranced around to get that perfect look to attract the potential adopter.

Fruitloop is an 11 year old Arab mare who is trained to ride.  She needs an experienced rider.  She is the typical Arabian and has a lot of energy.

Dino was hanging out in the pasture.  He sure had a lot to think about after his worming episode.

Meanwhile the Feather Pen was getting some more work done to it.

The door was hung.  There was a paint job done in the office trailer shortly after it came, and one of the volunteers for fun, knowing the door was going to be painted sometime too, put the old initials “NER” on the door.

Finally the days work was done and the animals were settling in for the night.  Parcy posed for a great silhouette shot.

After everything was done it was off to visit the kind folks who are starting Home at Last’s thrift store to donate some extra stuff.  They said they had a great response since we mentioned them last in our blog.  Jason asked them what they needed to make a well rounded store, and they said they need mens clothing and horse tack items, just not any more gold Christmas ornaments.  We’ll be going through our tack room to see what kind of tack we can send their way.  If anyone is interested in donating items or volunteering at the store, please visit their Facebook page and contact them.  Note that the store does benefit Home at Last Sanctuary, not Horse Plus Humane Society, but as over half of their lifetime residence came from us, we help them out any way we can.  To visit the store’s Facebook page, click here.

Thank you all for your support both financially and emotionally.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.