Only 8 weeks old at an auction in a pen full of bulls with horns

This story is from 15 years ago, shortly after this organization was founded, when Tawnee was only 19.  Tawnee went to an auction to save horses as she had been doing consistently for the prior year.  When Tawnee arrived at the auction yard she went in the back and started looking at the horses.  One horse caught her eye immediately, it was a little orphaned foal.  She was only 8 weeks old and very scared.  The foal’s mother was no where to be found, and no one wanted a poor little orphaned filly, especially as she had an umbilical hernia. When she went through the auction ring, Tawnee’s hand seemed to go up on its own, she just had to bring this cute filly back to the rescue! After wining the bid she assumed the auction workers would have put the helpless baby in a pen by herself.  After paying for her, Tawnee headed out to find her. To her horror she found her in a pen filled with cattle that all had long horns.  The poor little foal was shaking with fear.
An auction worker stepped up and said “Here, I’ll get her out for you.” He walked into the pen with a paddle and started whacking on the little foal to get her out. The cows were scattering, dashing this way and that, and one of the horns almost gouged into her neck.  Thankfully the little foal managed to get out of the pen safely.

Tawnee decided to call the little foal Lucky.  There has been a lot of horses named Lucky at our shelter since then, but she was the first.  She was also the first baby horse we had rescued from an auction.  She was absolutely adorable, and it was so sad she was thoughtlessly dumped at the auction.

Lucky did not take to a bottle, nor was interested in drinking milk from a pale, she absolutely refused them both. She did, however, enjoy nibbling on hay and All-in-One, and drinking water.  Tawnee ended up feeding her All-in-One with powdered milk and other vitamins all mixed in. She loved it!

Lucky had a very unique coloration on her back called Lacing.  The designs started from her withers down over her back.  It could have been the reason she was dumped at the auction, her breeder may not have known that it was a rare color pattern, and with her umbilical hernia, she was worthless to the breeder.

Lucky was a cute little girl and adjusted well to living at the shelter.  Every day she discovered new adventures and became brighter and happier.  She did such a good job on her leading lessons, and soon she would follow along anywhere.

About a month after the auction it was hard to tell Lucky was the same horse.  She was so full of life and energy, yet still only 3 months old.

After her coat shed out her lacing appeared on her neck too, she was such a unique horse.  She got the nickname Lucky Lacing.

We were so excited when Lucky was adopted by a very sweet lady and started her new life.  We were sad to see Lucky go, but Tawnee knew it was time for her to go to her perfect home.

Lucky grew into an absolutely beautiful mare, who would have never received the medical care she needed, known love and affection if Tawnee didn’t rescue her.  Her adopter says that everyone asks about the markings on her back. She explains that Lucky is a beautiful horse and is certainly one of a kind.  This story shows exactly why our auction rescues are so important.  We change the lives of horses, but we can’t make that change without your help.

We will be going to an auction in 1 week.  Will you help us save horses from the horrors of the slaughter pipeline?  We never thought 15 years ago when we rescued Lucky that we would still have to be rescuing horses from slaughter, but horrifically over 70,000 horses ship to slaughter out of the United States each and every year.  We can’t save them all, but for the ones we do save, we change their lives forever.